Thursday, September 10, 2009

A New Recurring Feature: Grrr!

This is my first post in a new recurring series called "Grrr!"

Duncan makes this noise when he wants me to play ball. Finn makes it when he wants me to get off the computer and pay attention to him. I make this noise when I'm served something awful, when something in my kitchen gets broken or lost, when produce is not up to par, or when I fail miserably at making a dish.


The two biggest culinary "Grrr's" in my memory involve the serving of a mostly raw turkey at a small Thanksgiving I was hosting in Brooklyn about 8 years ago and the all-to-hasty pouring of my lemon custard filling into a still-to-warm pie crust last Thanksgiving that resulted basically in lemon soup in a bread bowl.
They'll be many more "Grrr's" featured here for sure. I've had some great successes in the kitchen but I've also been known to really screw stuff up. I had a really big "Grrr" yesterday involving the tomato on a very ordinary ham & cheddar sandwich. Look:


grrr! tomato core! grrr!

TRAVESTY!! GRRR!! All it takes to make sure something like this never happens is 3 flippin' seconds and $1.49.

No comments:

Post a Comment