Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Possible Atomic Slushy Palace?

My commute from my home in Westchester to my job in Manhattan ranges from 41 minutes to just over an hour, depending on what train I manage to hop on. Sometimes it sucks, I have to admit. But often the ride home is kinda cool. I get to unwind by watching the Hudson River go by. I can still work on my Blackberry if necessary. I can read or write or text with friends. Oh and often I get to enjoy one of these:



They're ice cold, aren't very pricey and they sell them all over the train station. Now, I used to purchase my bright blue beauty at a little mini-deli in Grand Central Terminal. I used to pass it everyday. The fella that worked there was very nice and, because he knew everyone was trying to both buy something and make their train, he was very speedy at his job. Ring! Change! Bag! Gone! It was awesome. Sigh. I'm sad to say, that mini-deli is no more.... BUT... this is:



I have no idea what The Beverage Bar will be. It may be the same deli/store just updated and rebranded... but I hope it's much more. When I first saw that the deli had closed and this "coming soon" message, I immediately pictured one of the potent slushy storefronts that line Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I pictured triple stacked Slurpee-type dispensers with amazing flavors like banana daiquiri, strawberry margarita, and hurricane. Now, if what I've conjured up in my mind is true then I'm going to have to take a different route through Grand Central. Even though the large hurricane one I had at my fraternity's formal in Nawlins many years ago made me projectile vomit bright red crawfish etouffee all over my rented tuxedo shoes, I still love those things.

Actually, let's just hope it's
not an atomic slushy palace and that it's just a place to buy a quick beer or wine spritzer on your way home. I think that would be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment