Saturday, September 5, 2009

We Got the Beet!

Earlier this evening, in a fit of wild stupidity, I decided to see if I was still allergic to beets... while sitting in a restaurant with my husband. I was just so sick of seeing delicious beet salads on menus and not being able to eat them. I decided to throw caution to the wind and challenge my decades-long beet allergy by forking a gorgeously roasted golden beet (enrobed in herbed goat cheese!) and putting it in my mouth.

The next couple of moments for me were so exciting. For the first time in over 30 years, I tasted a beet again... and instantly remembered how much I absolutely love them. Dave spent his next moments both devouring his golden beet & goat cheese salad and watching my face... just in case.



I'm fully aware of the fact that although this one bite of roasted golden beet didn't send me to the ER, that eating a conventional RED beet may. I know I've drank a Bloody Mary made with spicy V8 juice (which totally has beet juice in it) recently so I'm hopeful that I'm free not to fear all beets soon. I will tread lightly, however. I'm not going to take any borscht baths anytime soon, but a freakin' salad every now and again would be delightful. Cross your fingers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy! I would like you to add a link to Frankie's Kitchen if you add a blogroll. It is cooking/fitness/recipes that I did in honor of my last pup that I lost last December. I decided as much as pugs love food it would be a great way to remember him as his life was stolen by food allergies. Thanks!! http://frankieskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete